If you’ve ever had to remove Sharpie stains from your favorite scarf, you know it’s not the easiest task. Worst of all, it could be quite annoying if you need to use the scarf urgently.
Thankfully, there are some best practices that make the process a lot easier.
You don’t need to beat yourself too much just because your scarf is soaked with a stain. Quit being fussy! Rather, follow these simple and best practices on how to remove sharpie stains from scarves.
Best Practices On How To Remove Sharpie Stains From Scarves
Interestingly, there are different methods and products you can use to get rid of sharpie stains on your scarves, whether silk or cotton. They are easy to follow and very effective!
1. Rubbing Alcohol
Follow these steps to remove sharpie stain from your scarf using rubbing alcohol:
- First, get a clean napkin.
- Soak the napkin inside the rubbing alcohol and use it to dab the affected area.
- Keep dabbing for some time and allow for at least 10 minutes.
- After that, rinse the scarf using cold water to ensure that the stains are completely removed.
- Air dry and iron.
2. Hair Spray Solvent
Below are the steps to follow when removing sharpie stains from your scarf using any hairspray solvent:
- First, use the hair spray solvent to saturate the sharpie stains on your scarf.
- After that is done, let it sit for about 15 to 20 minutes. Again, for this procedure, you don’t necessarily need to dab.
- Next, rinse the scarf with cold water and examine it to ensure all the stains are removed,
- Now, allow the scarf to dry.
3. Nail Polish Remover
For this method, all you need is the regular nail polish remover. It’s quite useful and affordable. Below are some steps to follow to remove sharpie stain from your scarf.
- Get a paper towel and soak it with the nail polish remover.
- Use the towel to dab the sharpie stain on your scarf continuously for some time.
- Then, allow it to sit for at least 15 minutes.
- Then use cold water to rinse the scarf while ensuring that the stains are gone.
- Air-dry and iron the scarf.
4. Hand Sanitizer
Hand sanitizers are quite useful; aside from helping keep the hand clean and free from bacteria, you can use them to get rid of stains.
Here’s how you can remove sharpie stains from fabric with the help of a hand sanitizer.
- Apply some quantity of this solvent to the affected area of your scarf.
- Use your finger to dab continuously for a while. You’ll notice that the stain will begin to fade gradually as you do this.
- Keep dabbing until the stain is completely gone.
- Then, use cold water to rinse off the hand sanitizer from the fabric.
- Air-dry and iron.
5. White Vinegar
White vinegar, especially the distilled one, is a natural sanitizer, cleaner, and stain remover that works suitably on almost all surfaces and fabrics. For example, it is very effective in removing sharpie stains from fabrics.
The below steps will walk you through the process of removing sharpie stains from your scarf using vinegar.
- Mix one tablespoon of distilled white vinegar and one tablespoon of dish soap with two cups of cold water.
- Place a paper towel underneath the stained area of your scarf.
- Soak a clean napkin or sponge in the vinegar and use it to gently dab the sharpie stain on the scarf, paying particular attention to moving your napkin from the external section of the stain to the internal section of the sharpie stained area.
- Dab up the dissolved ink and excess solution with a paper towel.
- Allow the solution to remain on the fabric for at least 20 minutes.
- Then, press a paper towel on the stained area to absorb the dissolved ink and excess cleaning solution.
- Finally, rinse thoroughly before washing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I Use Hairspray to Remove Sharpie Stain from My Clothes?
One of the best products with a high percentage of alcohol concentration is hairspray. Therefore, hairspray products are super effective in removing sharpie stains from scarves and even clothes (in general).
However, keep in mind that hairsprays don’t work well on all clothing materials (like polyester).
Can I Get Dried Sharpie Ink Out of Fabric?
Definitely! It’s possible to get rid of dried sharpie ink on clothes. Here are the procedures on how to remove dried sharpie stain from fabric:
- First, get a clean napkin or sponge, rubbing alcohol, and a few paper towels.
- Place the stained region of the paper towel and soak your napkin in stain removing solvent.
- Use the soaked napkin to dab the stained area continuously. Keep dabbing until you successfully remove all the dried sharpie ink stains from the fabric.
Are Sharpie Stains Permanent?
It’s right that sharpie inks are considered “permanent markers.” However, you can remove them without complications if you follow the right steps and use the right products. With the procedures we’ve highlighted in this article on removing sharpie stain from fabric, you’ll certainly get rid of the stain completely in no time.
Can you Remove Sharpie Stains from Fabric After Washing Them?
Yes, you can! The most effective product at this time will be rubbing alcohol. You need to fill a bucket with the stain remover and put your sharpie-stained fabric inside the bucket. Leave the fabric in the bucket for about 8 to 10 minutes.
After that, remove the fabric and apply salt on the stained area. Then, add a little milk to the alcohol and apply the solution to the stained area of the fabric you had earlier covered with salt.
Now, use your fingers or a clean napkin to rub the solution and the salt on the stained area. Continue until all the sharpie stain is completely gone.
You don’t need to dump your scarf just because there’s a sharpie stain on it. Whether the stain has dried or is still very fresh, you can remove it. Most of all, you don’t need to worry about ruining the fabric’s color; you just need to use the right products in the right quantity. We’ve extensively highlighted the best practices for removing sharpie stains from scarves. Follow the steps meticulously and get your scarves back in good shape. You can even get some beautiful silk scarves here.